This week Stasha asked for our favorite fall must haves. I encourage you to visit her blog, and then visit others who have linked up. They're much more pithy than I, no doubt.
Today starts October, what do I want around me?
1. Butterscotch liqueur for hot chocolate (and for the chocolate butterscotch martini I'm going to concoct if Mac answers my birthday wish for a shaker.)
2. Open windows for sleeping under many covers and waking up to cold.
3. A scraper for my car windows--morning frost for those few times I can't pull into the garage due to a Brad project going on.
4. Pansies. Their bright yellows and purples stare down winter, they taunt it--"Go ahead, I'm frost resistant," until nearly and sometimes into December. I moved some asters from a pot into a bed, and I now have a pot o' purple and yellow. Love them!
5. Mums, they remind me of Mom--they're in the backyard, but I'll get some for a vase near month's end.
6. My weekend-not-going-out-of-the-house-baggy-in-the-butt-jeans. (Okay, they're suitable for Home Depot or a WalMart run, and maybe a "the library closes in 10 minutes and I have a book waiting," run...)
7. My gray hand-me-down from Brad sweatshirt and my black-hand-me down (stolen) from Mac hoodie. Wearing the latter as I compose this.
8. Caramel anything (Most recently a caramel chocolate martini.)
9. A good idea for a class birthday treat, my 52nd (eek) is October 28th.
10. Hikes in state parks, we have at least one planned for sure.
image courtesy of the Illinois DNR
And though it's supposed to be 10, I'm going for 11--
11. Books that have nothing to do with lesson planning!